Brian May (born 19 July 1947) is a multi-talented English artist renowned for his roles as a singer, astrophysicist, musician, and music writer. He is most famously known as the lead guitarist of the legendary band “Queen,” which has delivered numerous chart-topping singles and albums to its devoted fans. Over the course of his illustrious career, Brian May has been honored with various accolades, including the prestigious Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018.
He is renowned for several well-known albums, including “Back to the Light,” “Live at the Brixton Academy,” and “Back to the Light.” In addition to playing the banjolele, guitar, drums, and piano, May also demonstrates proficiency in various other instruments.
In a recent social media update, he disclosed details about a medical condition he has been facing. According to his post, he had an accident while gardening, resulting in an injury to his glutes. Upon seeking medical attention, doctors diagnosed the source of his pain as a compressed sciatic nerve, which was revealed through an MRI.
Other than this he even suffered a life-threatening heart attack. He underwent surgery and now he is stable.
Childhood, Parents, Siblings
Brian Harold May was born in 1947 in Hampton, United Kingdom, and in 2019, he was 72 years old.
Brian Harold May’s mother, Ruth Irving, was a housewife, and his father, Harold R. May, worked as a draughtsman. His father is English, while his mother is Scottish. Brian is the only child of his parents, and his birthday is on 19 July.
Due to his brilliant mind, May achieved high grades in high school and graduated from Hampton Grammar School.
After attending Imperial College London, where he studied Physics and science, May decided to drop the idea of pursuing a Ph.D. to focus solely on his music career.
Physique Details & More
The guitarist has maintained his unique hairstyle since his youth, and it remains unchanged to this day. Countless young men have attempted to imitate his iconic look.
Brian May stands tall at 6 feet 1.5 inches (186.5 cm) in height. Known for being health-conscious, he carefully selects his food and maintains strict control over his calorie intake, which may explain why his weight is 78 kg.
Previously, during his performances, he would don a t-shirt or shirt with open buttons. However, his style has since evolved, and he now prefers to wear a long coat.
In 1976, he tied the knot with Chrissie Mullen, and they remained together for 12 years until their divorce in 1988. Their relationship reportedly began in 1974, and after two years of dating, they chose to cohabit.
The couple even has three kids named Jimmy May, Louisa May, and Emily Ruth May. Later he met with actress Anita Dobson in the late ’80s. She helped him from recovering the deteriorating mental state.Brian May with his wife Anita Dobson
In the year 2000 after 14 years of informal relationship, they both got married. Now they both live together and even appear at events.
Some Lesser Known Facts about Brian May
- He started his career by forming a band named “Smile” with Roger Taylor & Tim Staffell in the year 1968.
- The band existed only till 1970 as after 2 years Tim left the band for his own projects.
- In the year 1970 Brian formed another band named “queen” with Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon.
- They usually performed pop-rock and arena rock music as it was radio-friendly.
- In total, the Queen band released 15 studio albums, 10 live albums, 72 singles, and 19 box sets.
- They ruled the music industry at that time. Brian also released many singles himself like “Rockstar”, “One Night in Hell”, “New Horizons”, “Why Don’t We Try Again”, “Another World”, “On My Way Up”, “Business” and many others.
- The discography of Queen includes albums which ranked in the highest positions in peak charts. Their album “A Day at the Races” is one of their most successful ones.
- Even to this day, he has maintained his charm between music lovers.
- Recently in the year 2018, a film was made named “Bohemian Rhapsody”. In this movie, the famous English actor Gwylim Lee portrayed his character.
- Because of millions of fans and lovers around the world he has seen a wonderful time.
- As Wikicelebs.com came to know his net worth is $210 million. No wonder he has earned a lot of love and fame also.
- He received 3 stents in the heart during his surgery.
- Brian May revealed that carrying heavy guitar for 50 years is the cause of complications in his spine.
- His father was a chain smoker this also became the reason for his death. This is the main reason why he hates cigarettes.
- In his concerts, nobody is allowed to smoke.
- Brian May is a pure vegetarian.
- He holds the view that COVID-19 is caused by eating meat.
- May works for ethical treatment for animals.
- He suffered depression after his divorce as he used to think that he failed as a father and husband.
- His depression was so severe that he even contemplated committing suicide.
- He helped in preserving a piece of the forest by buying that area and planted more than 100 k trees there. This place is now known as “The Brian May Wood”.