Yao Ming, a former professional basketball player, coach, and sports personality, was born on September 12, 1980, in Shanghai, China. He began his career with the Shanghai Sharks basketball team in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) league. Notably, Yao Ming is the only non-American player to have ever led the NBA in All-Star votes. His athletic prowess and contributions to the sport have earned him a prominent place in basketball history.
At a young age, he became a part of Shanghai’s basketball team and played in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) for five years, eventually winning a championship in his final season.
In July 2011, news of his retirement from professional basketball came as a blow to his fans in both China and the United States. Over the past six seasons, a string of foot and ankle injuries had prevented him from reaching the milestone of 250 games, ultimately leading to his decision to retire. It was a disappointing turn of events for his devoted fanbase on both sides of the Pacific.
Early Life, Parents & Profile
Yao Ming, the renowned and dynamic athlete, was 39 years old in 2019. He comes from a family with a rich basketball background, as his father, Yao Zhiyuan, and mother, Fang Fengdi, were both former professional basketball players. Yao Ming himself is known for his bold and active style of play, and has left a lasting legacy in the world of sports.
Born on September 12, 1980, he is the sole offspring of his parents, having no siblings. Remarkably, he weighed twice as much as other babies at birth.
From a young age, he had a passion for basketball and began playing at an early age. By the time he was just 9 years old, he was already enrolled in a junior sports school, honing his skills on the court. He pursued his education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, where he completed his college studies. His remarkable height is a genetic trait inherited from his parents, further enhancing his natural talent for the game.
Personal Life, Girlfriend & Dating
Yao Ming, renowned as one of the most recognizable sports icons in China, made the tough decision to retire from professional basketball due to a debilitating foot injury. However, his unwavering dedication to the sport and his impressive leadership skills did not go unnoticed. Following his retirement, Yao Ming was appointed as the Chairman of the prestigious Chinese Basketball Association, a position that bestowed him with immense responsibility and authority in the world of Chinese basketball.
He eventually found love in Ye Li, a fellow Chinese professional basketball player whom he first met when he was just 17 years old. After nine years of dating and building a strong relationship, they finally exchanged vows and got married in August 2007, sealing their love for each other in a joyous celebration of their union. Ye Li became his beloved girlfriend turned wife, and their journey together as a couple was a testimony to their enduring love and commitment to each other.
The couple has a 6-year-old daughter named Yao Qinlei, who stands taller than expected based on genetic laws governing height.
|Wiki & Bio|
|Real Full Birth Name||Yao Ming.|
|Nickname||The Great Wall of “Yao” and
The “Ming” Dynasty.
|Profession||Professional Basketball Player.|
|Age (As of 2019)||39 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||September 12, 1980.|
|Awards & Achievements||
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Virgo.|
|Religion||Will Update Soon.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||Feet & Inches: 7′ 6″ tall.
Meters: 2.29 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 141 Kg.
Pounds: 311 lbs.
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-Neck)||42-36- 16.|
|Shoe Size||18 (US) and 22 (UK).|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Famous Relatives||Not Known.|
|Dating History?||In a relationship with her partner Ye Li.|
|Husband/Spouse Name||Ye Li (the female basketballer).|
|Daughter||Yao Qinlei (6 years old).|
|School||Will Update Soon.|
|College/ University||Shanghai Jiao Tong University.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
Michael Jordan (Basketball player).
|Dream Holiday Destination||Japan.|
|Love to do||Play Basketball.|
|Favorite Food||Pizza, Burger & Chicken.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$130 million US dollars.|
|Income Source||Basketball Salary, Business Ventures, Assets & Rent.|
|Official Website||He never associated with any personal site.|
|Phone No.||Not Known.|
|Email ID||[email protected]|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Yao Ming
- With this Amazing height, he even overshadowed players like Shaquille O’Neal and Kareem Abdul Jamal, who was among the tallest with 7ft 1 inch.
- He was 11 pounds at the time of his birth, which was 5 times heavier than the normal baby weight.
- He was also known by the name of The Great Wall of “Yao” and The “Ming” Dynasty because of his huge height and weight.
- He always takes advantage of his height, even at the basketball court, it becomes very difficult for the opponent to grab the ball from his hands.
- Presently, he is not interested in any basketball sport, and reading about military history, and the ancient battles of China.
- Apart from playing basketball he also serves as an ambassador for elephant conservation.
- Yao Ming is a born star because of his mindblowing height and dashing personality.
- Because of his presence in the Chinese basketball team he able to make good followers in Social media. Available on Instagram by, @YaoMing, Facebook, YaoMing and Twitter, @YaoMing.
- During the initial days of his career, he signed a nine-year contract with Houston in 2002 and earned an annual average salary of $10,333,333.
- Also, earned a total of $93 million as a salary. Earned highest in his final season, when Rockets paid Ming $17.6 million.
- Yao announced very bad news to his lover or fans on 20 July 2011 about his retirement from basketball in a press conference in Shanghai.
- Because of his injuries on his foot and ankle, including the third fracture to his left foot, he decided to take voluntary retirement.
- Yao Ming’s height is 7.6 inches and weight is 141 kilograms. His height is inherited from his parents, where his dad’s height is 6 ft 7 inches (201 cm) and his mom’s height is 6 ft 3 inches (190 cm).
- In 2019, the NBA recently celebrated Yao’s 39th Birthday.
- He wears jersey number 11.
- During his journey as a player, he didn’t miss a single game.
- When he was a kid, he also suffered a huge hearing loss.
- He is able to make the quarter-finals of the Olympic tournament twice with China.
- Able to outscored Shaq five times and outrebounded him eight times in the 18 games, which they played against each other.
- His highest score was 41 points vs. Atlanta in 2004.
- After Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Bateer, he becomes the third Chinese player in the NBA.