Born on 25th December 1908, Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor held the distinguished position of being the eldest member within the renowned Kapoor family of the Bollywood industry in India. She gained recognition as the partner of the well-known 1990s film director, Prithviraj Kapoor.
Ramsarni was the mother of renowned Hindi cinema artists such as “Raj Kapoor,” “Shammi Kapoor,” and “Shashi Kapoor.” Her husband, Prithviraj Kapoor, was the trailblazer in the Kapoor family, being the first to venture into the world of cinema and theatre, making him a pioneer in the film industry.
Prithvi embarked on his journey in the entertainment industry as an actor and swiftly rose to fame within a remarkably brief span of time. He gained immense recognition for his outstanding performances in movies such as Do Dhari Talwar, Draupadi, Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi, Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai, Janwar, Raj Nartaki, and many more.
He has been honored with accolades such as the Padma Bhushan, Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, and various others, recognizing his exceptional talent and acting prowess. Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor also shared numerous years collaborating alongside her spouse. Following the arrival of their children, she assumed the role of managing the household. Let’s delve into her biography.
Childhood, Parents, Siblings & Bio
Born on Friday, December 25, 1908, in India, she entered this world to her parents. Her roots traced back to a Punjabi family, while her faith aligned with Hinduism. Tragically, Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor passed away at 64 years old, succumbing to cancer.
She was born during the era of the British Raj in India. As my findings indicate, her father, “Kishore Mehra,” held a service position, while her mother took care of their home.
Prithviraj Kapoor’s wife had a younger sibling in their family named “Jugal Kishore Mehra,” who also pursued a career in acting. Ramsarni completed her high school education at a local school in her hometown. Following this, she entered into matrimony and began collaborating with her husband in their endeavors.
Wedding with Spouse Prithviraj Kapoor & Children
Mehra entered into matrimony at an early age of 15, betrothed to none other than the renowned artist and director, Prithviraj Kapoor. This union led Ramsarni Mehra to become the spouse of Prithviraj Kapoor in the year 1923.
She got married at the age of 15, and a year following her marriage, she gave birth to her son “Raj Kapoor” on December 14, 1924. Later, she was also blessed with two sons named “Ravinder (Bindi) Kapoor” and “Devinder (Devi) Kapoor”.
Subsequently, she relocated to Mumbai accompanied by her spouse and children. In 1930, a tragic turn of events unfolded as her son Devi succumbed to an early demise due to a severe bout of double pneumonia. Merely days after Devi’s passing, Ramsarni faced yet another heart-wrenching loss as her other son, Ravinder, accidentally ingested poisonous pills, leading to his unfortunate death.
The loss of two children in a single month left her utterly stunned. A year later, the couple was overjoyed to welcome a son into their lives, whom they named “Shammi Kapoor.” On the 21st of October, 1931, their son came into the world. In 1935, their household was graced with the arrival of a lovely daughter named “Urmila Sial Kapoor.”
Born on 18 March 1938, her younger son, named “Shashi Kapoor,” came into the world. Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor was consistently supportive of her husband’s endeavors, actively aiding him in his pursuits. It was her husband who instilled a fervor for acting within the Kapoor family.
|Quick Info & Wiki|
|Full Real Name||Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor.|
|Famously Known as||The wife of Prithviraj Kapoor.|
|Date of Birth||25 December 1908.|
|Date of Death||14 June 1972.|
|Age at the time of death||64 years old.|
|Place of Birth||India.|
|Place of Death||Mumbai.|
|Cause of Death||Cancer.|
|Parents||Father: Kishore Mehra.
|Siblings||Brother: Jugal Kishore Mehra.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5′ 3″.
Centimeters: 160 cm.
Meters: 1.6 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 53 Kg.
Pounds: 117 lbs.
|Husband||Prithviraj Kapoor (1923 to 1972).|
|Son||1. Raj Kapoor.
2. Shashi Kapoor.
3. Shammi Kapoor.
4. Ravinder (Bindi) Kapoor.
5. Devinder (Devi) Kapoor.
|Daughter||1. Urmila Sial Kapoor.|
|Highest Qualification||High School.|
|School||Local High School.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor
- Prithviraj Kapoor’s wife was suffering from cancer for a long time.
- Her husband Prithviraj Kapoor has also the patient of cancer.
- On 29 May 1972, her hubby died due to cancer in Bombay, Maharashtra.
- After one year of the death of Prithvi, Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor also died due to cancer on 14 June 1972.
- She was called as Chaiji by her grandchildren.
- Because of his talent and excellence, her lover Prithviraj Kapoor also featured on the 200 and 500 stamps of India.
- Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor is the paternal grandmother of famous actors like Rishi Kapoor, Rajiv Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Ritu Nanda, and others.
- On 30 April 2020, her grandchild Rishi Kapoor left the world after fighting a long-time battle with cancer.
- The height of Ramsarni Kapoor was 5 feet 3 inches (in meters 1.6 m).
- According to an estimate, her body weight was 53 kilograms (in pounds 117 lbs).
- In the year 1944, her hubby Prithviraj Kapoor established the Prithvi Theatres in Mumbai.
- Her son Shashi Kapoor re-established the Prithvi Theatre on 5 November 1978 in memory of Prithviraj Kapoor along with her wife Jennifer Kapoor.