Kulmeet Makkar (born 22 March 1960) was a prominent figure in the Indian media industry, hailing from Udaipur, Rajasthan. He had a multifaceted career as a media professional, entrepreneur, film distributor, and producer. In Bollywood, he gained recognition as the CEO of the entertainment company “Producers Guild of India” (PGI).
During the initial phase of his career, he faced numerous challenges and obstacles while striving for great success. He dedicated himself to working in various industries, including Saregama and Reliance Entertainment, to accumulate valuable experience.
The individual made significant contributions to the advancement of the PGI through his innovative and creative endeavors. Regrettably, this talented individual is no longer among us, as he passed away on 1 May 2020 following a sudden and severe heart attack. Now, let us delve into his biography to commemorate his life and achievements.
Kulmeet Makkar, CEO of Producers Guild of India passed away
The Hindi film industry is currently experiencing a period of unfortunate events, with a series of distressing news unfolding one after another. First, the industry lost the talented actor Irrfan Khan, followed by the demise of the veteran actor Rishi Kapoor, and now, it mourns the passing of Kulmeet Makkar, the CEO of the Producers Guild of India. These losses have left a profound impact on the film fraternity and its well-wishers.
The Bollywood community is in mourning as news of Kulmeet’s passing spreads. The 60-year-old’s sudden demise due to a heart attack has sent shockwaves throughout the industry. Celebrities are coming forward to pay heartfelt tributes to the beloved individual.
Karan Johar expressed profound regret, emphasizing the invaluable contribution of Kulmeet Makkar on Twitter. He wrote, “Kulmeet, you were the unwavering pillar of support for the Producers Guild of India. Your tireless efforts in advancing the industry were truly commendable. It’s heartbreaking that you left us too soon. You will be deeply missed. May peace be with you, my dear friend.” In response, director Ritesh Batra wrote, “Such a tragedy. Kulmeet was genuinely a kind soul.”
Kulmeet you were such an incredible pillar to all of us at the Producers Guild of India….relentlessly working for the industry and towards its enhancement and advancement… you left us too soon…We will miss you and always Remember you fondly…. Rest in peace my friend… pic.twitter.com/GUcapyjfMo
— Karan Johar (@karanjohar) May 1, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 lockdowns, Kulmeet experienced a severe heart attack while in Dharamshala. Makkar boasts over three decades of experience in the entertainment industry.
Kulmeet Makkar had affiliations with several companies, notably Saregama and Reliance Entertainment, over the years. In 2010, he assumed the role of CEO at the Producers Guild of India. During his tenure, Kulmeet played a significant part in establishing a trust aimed at providing aid to daily wage workers affected by the Coronavirus. Netflix also pledged a generous contribution of one million dollars towards this noble cause.
— Producers Guild of India (@producers_guild) May 1, 2020
Childhood, Family & Bio
The renowned personality, born on Tuesday, March 22, 1960, in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India, was 60 years old as of 2019. He hailed from a Sikh family and followed the Hinduism religion. Unfortunately, details regarding his parents’ names and professions remain unavailable.
Growing up alongside his siblings, he spent his early years playing in the streets of Udaipur. From a young age, he showed a keen interest in the entertainment field. For his primary education, he enrolled in a local private school. However, with aspirations for a brighter future, he eventually made the decision to move to Mumbai.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kulmeet Makkar
- As soon as he reached Mumbai, he got work in a private firm.
- He worked there for some years and left the job.
- He wants to be a part of the entertainment industry.
- That’s why he applied for the job in many big companies.
- In the year 2002, he started working in Saregama entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
- He worked there some time and quit the job because he got a good job at Reliance Entertainments.
- Kulmeet worked in Reliance for more than 6 years at the position of CEO of Big Music & Home Entertainment.
- After some time, in the year 2010, he got an opportunity to work in a famous film and television entertainment company named “Producers Guild of India”.
- He did so many creative works to grow the turnover of the organization.
- Kulmeet Makkar also worked as a producer.
- He lived in Mumbai, Maharashtra along with his wife and two children.
- Makkar’s height was 5 feet 9 inches (in meters 1.76 m).
- According to an estimate, his body weight was 74 kilograms (in pounds 163.14 lbs).
- He has appeared in many Filmfare and IIFA awards.
- Because of the CEO of the PGI, Kulmeet has great links with many popular celebrities.
- The sudden death of Kulmeet gave a shock to the entire Bollywood industry.